Friday, January 5, 2018

Resolutions

I've been checking out everyones new years resolutions on social media.  It's kind of fun.  Mostly because it's the exact same crap as we all posted last year.  Yep, I'm just as guilty as the rest of humanity on this one.  It seems like I had a grand plan(not that I remember what that was right now) for the 2017 year.

This year is going to be different though.  I've got a different plan on for getting through this one.  This year I'm not going to set some lofty goal.  Like get in shape, lose weight, or read more.  Nope.  My new years resolution is simple.  Be better than I was.

Let me explain.  I figured out that it is really easy to fall off of whatever wagon you are on at the moment.  Once you do, it seems really hard to get back on it.  Our brains don't like having to do stuff that makes us uncomfortable.  So my plan is not to set one big goal, but to set a whole lot of little goals throughout the year.

My first goal of the year was simple.  No more hitting the snooze button or crawling back into bed.  Pretty simple goal right?  I was getting up and going early for about a year, then I fell of that wagon.  Well, making a resolution to get up when my alarm goes off is pretty simple right.  It might seem like it's insignificant, but here I sit at 5:45 in the morning, writing this blog, after I showered and made breakfast.  That little change has given me more time to get things done in the morning, and to be honest, it's been a really easy goal to keep. 

My second goal for the year was also simple one.  Watch less TV.  So now I allow myself one hour of TV a night.  Once again, a pretty simple change.  But even in just the last few days I've noticed a difference.  I talk with my kids and wife more.  It seems like I fall asleep quicker, and sleep better.  I'm more present mentally when I'm at home.  All in all, this one has been a really good choice to make.

My third goal is to read more.  Sometimes I'm busy in the evenings, or have to work early in the mornings, but on days when I have time I've set a goal to read for 1 hour.  That's it, pick a good book and read it for an hour.  Right now I'm going through Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris.  It feels like I'm chewing my way through that book more than reading it.  Pick it up and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, these are the three small things I'm choosing to work on first.  Small steps.  Once these are habit, I'll move on to the next small thing I want to get into the habit of doing. 

If you every get a chance, read or listen to a guy named Jocko.  He says change is a campaign, not a resolution.  Little changes in habits are easy to make as long as your mindful of what your doing, and they are easy to keep.  So here's to a year of little changes.  I hope it leads to a better me in the coming year.

Till the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment