Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Rose Colored Glasses

A friend of mine messaged me tonight and said she had read my blog on failure.  She said it go her thinking about thing in her own life.  The fact that she read it and sent me a message is just amazing.  It's really something special to have someone chat you up about something you wrote.

Anyway, back to the point.  I re-read that blog post and then read how she looked at it.  Her mind went in a different direction than what I had in my mind when I wrote it.  But, the second I looked at how she was interpreting it, the whole thing made perfect sense.  I completely understood where she was coming from.

Of course this got me thinking again.  But this time I started thinking about how every single one of us can look at something and come to an endless number of conclusions about it.  We've all put on a filter to see the world through.  I think we have to as humans, in order to keep our sanity.  It all has to be processed in some way that will make sense to us.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my life experiences are what I end up using for a filter.  Right or wrong, it's the way things are for me.  And I think it's that way for a lot of people.  The really crappy part is that you can't change an experience.  You can move past it, but you can't pretend it never happened. 

Is it ok  for me to judge things based on past experience?  Maybe, maybe not.  Do I do it anyway?  You bet I do.  And I think most of you do was well.  It's almost impossible not to.

So how do I go about changing my filter?  I don't know.  Exposure?  That would mean that I would need to be exposed to something similar to that situation in the past.  Which would mean I would need to seek out a similar situation now.  That doesn't make a bit of sense.

I don't know.  I think some of these things that tilt my views have, and will change with time.  I think I can be a little more conscious of when I'm letting those experiences effect me.

My brain is the one doing it of course.  The question is do I control my brain, or does my experiences?  I guess I'll put some effort into that and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment